Black Milk Galaxy

Two-kay-one-one is meant to be the year that I am officially going to save a lot of money - and considering we're nearly two weeks into the year and I've avoided all the sales, I think I've done pretty well - just two buys so far. I've stopped myself at the Topshop online checkout about three times - I should feel virtuous, but I can't, because I am constantly coveting! My latest love and wish-to-own are Brian Lichtenberg and Black Milk - I received my first piece of Black Milk today in the post. I've admired Black Milk for a long time and really love their work, and now that I finally got to actually try it out - I'm not disappointed in the slightest. In fact, I'm rather thrilled, because they are a perfect fit. I find it really quite hard to find leggings that fit me properly (jeans are completely out of the question, always have been - even as a child I had to take in all my jeans which was painstaking and a nightmare, because it ruins the lines of the jeans) but I slipped these on today and pretty much shrieked for joy to my mother. They're the black galaxy leggings - I contemplated the red or normal version, but I decided to play it safe with my tastes. Unfortunately now I greatly desire more incredible printed leggings, so I have to exercise restraint, haha. In regards to Brian Lichtenberg, holy crow. I don't even like glitter but what I wouldn't give to own a pair of these glitter leggings or one of his hooded glitter dresses. Absolutely gorgeous!
You can find the below look on LB HERE.

Robortom feat Au Revoir Simone - Paganini Rocks




I'll have you know that I've been super-blogger-responsible and have been photographing nearly all of the food I make - so I have a big backlog of baking and cooking recipes to dole out now, but with picture evidence! I get a lot of complaints that I don't post food pictures of the recipes, but it's not my fault, honestly - they usually get eaten before I can...! (Plus, after you've spent like an hour or two cooking or baking something, who on earth wants to sit around and wait to photograph it? Delayed pleasure is no pleasure in my books... excuses aside, I've complied!)
This is a gluten and dairy free chicken and mushroom pie recipe. You can easily make it the opposite too with gluten and dairy, except I'm not entirely sure how this pastry recipe would turn out with 'real' flour, so maybe stick to a more tried-and-tested - and try making it with Quorn chicken instead for a vegetarian version! I think I'm going to make a post of vegan recipes - I had some experience cooking vegan for a while (my sister was vegan for about a year) and while a lot of my recipes can be easily made vegetarian, not so much vegan - and I feel like I should cater to it. I'll do a post if there's some interest - if you're vegan and have anything you'd be intrigued in, please leave a comment. Anyone who's experimented with gluten-free pastry should know it's a total nightmare to deal with, when I first started trying to re-create pastry about seven years ago I failed miserably - thankfully, there's a lot more knowledge and decent products on the market. This pastry recipe is absolutely lovely for quiches and savoury pies, it's very short and crumbly.

CHICKEN AND MUSHROOM PIE
Crust
  • 75g rice flour
  • 75g potato flour
  • 75g polenta
  • 1 tsp xanthan gum
  • 150g butter
  • 1 egg, 2 tbsp water
Filling
  • 90g onions
  • 100g butter
  • 350g mushrooms
  • 175ml single cream (dairy free alternative - Elmlea)
  • 1 litre chicken stock
  • 4 chicken breasts
  • 1 tbsp fresh chopped tarragon
  • Seasoning and lemon juice
To make the crust, combine the flours and xanthan gum in a large bowl. Cube the butter (make sure it's cold) and rub into the flour mixture until it's in the texture of fine crumbs. Whisk the egg lightly in a separate bowl with the water, and add in small segments until you have a workable pastry. It's worthwhile doing this with your hands, because the pastry can easily become too wet. Cool in the fridge for about two hours. Get a large sheet of baking parchment, and roll out to about 1/2" thickness on top of this - flouring the rolling pin if it becomes too sticky. Rolling out gluten-free pastry on parchment makes it easier to manipulate in one fell swoop, as if you roll it out on a tabletop, you usually have to cut it into pieces and re-piece it as it's somewhat impossible to pick up in one (due to the lack of gluten.)
For the filling, use a large saucepan to bring the stock to boil, and lay the chicken breasts in in one layer - make sure the stock covers them. Cook on a simmer for five minutes, cover, turn off heat, and leave for a further five minutes. Remove from pan and when cooled slightly, slice them into 1.5cm cubes, or shred them with a fork.
Melt the butter in a large frying pan until it foams. Dice the onion finely, and add to the hot pan, then turn down the heat and sweat the onions for about five minutes. Remove from the pan. Add the sliced mushrooms to the same pan, and cook with a few squeezes of lemon juice until they release their liquid and it has evaporated. Add the onions, cream, tarragon, chicken and seasoning to taste, and let bubble and thicken for about two minutes.
Pour the filling into a casserole dish or somewhat-deep round pie dish. Flip the rolled pastry on top of the filling, and crimp the edges - if you have some left over, make some decoration - I just used a cookie cutter instead of fiddling with knives. Brush the pastry with an egg wash, and make a hole in the centre for the steam to escape. Bake in an oven at 180 C for 45 minutes. Enjoy!



Last but not least, I've had a lot of requests to do another make-up tutorial - all well and good, but I am not doing any interesting looks on my own face lately - so when Maeve (my younger sister, for those of you who don't know) asked me to do her face for her, I remembered my chance and got out my Nikon. Below is the result - after the eye make-up, just finish the look with your foundation and blush. I love doing her make-up because it's kind of like doing my own face which I know the best, as we have similar features. But look at that hair, oh heavens! What I wouldn't give...




45 comments

  1. i adore those galaxy leggings x10000000... wow.
    also super digging the heels, too xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. Those leggings are AWESOME! I just recently started wearing leggings because they cover my un-tanned legs.

    You rock the f**k out of those! :D


    -L O V E

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Black Milk leggings. I actually felt the same way as you did when I bought my first pair of Leg Bones. They fit perfectly and are SO comfortable.

    I've had my eye on the Galaxy print for so long! You might have just twisted my arm to finally get a pair when my next pay comes through :) They look great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous leggings, top, and heels.
    your looks are always sooo flawless. big love for you !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy recipe i might have to try this one friday for the fvncy food friday posts. and oooo the leggings! i love the galaxy print - might have to figure out if i can do a diy based on them.

    KeepItFvncy,
    M.E.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so beautiful! Great eyeshadow and the outfit is awesome too! Love your leggings xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those leggings are just perfection.

    intothefoldfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. leggins are gorgeous!

    kisses,
    kamila

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so stunning!
    Love your leggings. ♥

    thekillerinmeisthekillerinyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. i think that everything with space motive is cool and i'm dreaming about outer-space top ... :)
    if it isn't 'on top' now, it surely gonna be soon :)
    ciao
    http://noradoktora.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. girlll olet todella kaunis ja rakastan legginssejäsi :)) hihi bongasin sut lookbookista

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look stunning, I love your leggings! Also, I like the tutorial, I love how you use brown instead of black, it looks much softer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those leggins are AMAZING! Love them

    xx
    http://maddenim.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your leggings! Black Milk has amazing stuff but I'm not that sure I can spend so much on a pair of leggings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love Black Milk leggings (and James' hilarious blog, Too Many Tights) I've blogged about them many times in the past. They are a bit pricey, but I think they're well worth it. I've wanted the galaxy leggings since James came out with the first pair, but I've hesitated to buy them because I usually stick to solid colors like black or gray. I think your pictures have convinced me to take a leap and have a bit of fun with color.

    I'd be very interested in vegan recipes. I've had a lot of success with your other recipes thus far. I'm not strictly vegan but I do prefer to eat that way most of the time, and many of my friends are vegan, so I'm always on the lookout for new recipes. I've found the hardest things to substitute are cream and eggs in baking, so if you have any tips on that please do share!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW Your family has great genes. Your sister is gorgeous too! And both of you girls' hair....Oh I wish I had hair like that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your leggings and shoes!

    www.jelkaaa-x.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welldone for not spending to much in the sales (i can't say i did the same as this yr is the first year ive had any money in jan so i've actaully been quite naughty) i've had a few disaster buys too, in the heat of my buying frienzy i bought white baggy high waisted leather shorts from ebay, ok they werent that expensive but i wanted nice black ones and now they have arrived, my boyfriend was like -what were you thinking?!!NOT GOOD!! i look insane in them! So well done, and i personally think you look way better then the model on the site, and have styled them better. HIGH five! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. snap. I just received my first piece too.

    They look great on you.

    http://aforteforfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. those leggings are freaking awesome!

    and that pie looks delicous :)

    http://eccentricdaydream.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG, those leggins are perfection!!! And so is your marvellous hair!!! Love the eyeshadow too!

    http://myfashioninsider.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. those leggings, oh I'm craving them a lot, since the last year... <3
    Lucky you!
    -Nico-

    ReplyDelete
  23. The leggings are stunning. I'm a big fan of the nebula digital prints by YourEyesLie but these are another kind of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those leggings are amazing, they look fantastic on you!

    Thank you so much for the recipe, I'm going to have to try it out tonight, it looks delicious. I would definitely be interested in some vegan recipes (I'm not vegan but enjoy cooking vegetarian/vegan meals from time to time).

    Your sister is gorgeous, like you :) I envy both of your hair to no end... x

    ReplyDelete
  25. those are officially the coolest leggings i have ever seen

    ReplyDelete
  26. In love with those leggings.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow Ö your pants are amazing really really cool, gorgeous.
    xoxo :)
    http://justamemoryblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my, those leggings are just a-ma-zing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just wanted to thank you for the recipes. I tried the chicken/mushroom pie recipe and it came out delicious. I just added a few more veggies and it was wonderful. Looking for forward to trying more:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your leggings are amazing and so are your heels!
    xoxo F
    http://itsnotjustabag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. those tights are too beautiful to be true! I love them!!
    kiss

    ReplyDelete
  32. You're so overwhelmingly beautiful!!!! I love your look! You were actually one of the reasons why i dyed my hair red :-P thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. tahti i must say your posts are getting better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I <3 BlackMilk! they're totally addictive those leggings...

    PS: your sister has ETHEREAL skin! to die for!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. hi my question has nothing to do with this post but i hope u will comment back i need your help!i have natural red hair and im looking for hair extensions.i tried the afrocare site and i need the 24inches in #30 same as you but i cant find clip-in ones in that description anywhere on the site!are yours sewn in or clip-ins?and how much did yours cost?i live in galway.your help would be mucho appreciated!ps i love your blog!x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Niamh ; I sew all my own extensions up - I buy the packs of wefted hair and make them myself, they're a better fit then. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've been following your blog for awhile, but I decided I should finally drop a line. I love BLACK MILK leggings and totally just bought a lovely pair for myself. Keep on stunning!

    http://www.jm-fashgasm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  38. Those Galaxy leggings are A++++mazzzzzing!!! AND btw, you have the BESSST LEGS...WOW!!! They are supermodel legs!!! And your eyeshadow color is stunning!!!! Love how big it makes your eyes look! I would totally make the pie, but would have to leave out the mushrooms! haha Happy HAppy FRIDAY babe!
    kisses
    xoThe Beckerman Girls

    www.BeckermanBitePlate.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Efffffing LOVE those tights and i effffing LOVE your blog xxx

    http://moodymoodboard.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  40. You look absolutely amazing!
    X

    Start dreaming on www.dreamingthedayawaywithluca.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your first pictures reminded me of "Nico" from the Velvet underground. Pretty blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. i love ur style, nice shoes and make up :X u re so pretty ^^

    ReplyDelete
  43. you are perfection. im following. i love those galaxy leggings too

    F. (opinionslave.blogspot.com) x

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love the galaxy print. You wear those leggings well. Great blog, from a fellow redhead :-)

    http://www.strawberryfreckleface.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. your sister is gorgeous...love the blog.:)
    flysongbird.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete